Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Kind Diet

http://www.thekindlife.com/

I'm not a big reader of diet books, but I love to cook and I have been a vegetarian for many years. I avoided reading this for a while; I was afraid it might be annoying and shallow, but I was pleasantly surprised when I finally picked it up.
Now, this isn't ground-breaking information. A meat and dairy free diet that avoids caffeine and white sugar is better for you and will help you loose weight. Its also better for the planet. The thing I really liked, however, was that the rationale for this was explained clearly, but not in a preachy way, and there is no pressure to 100% commit. Instead of insisting that a complete lifestyle change is the only possibility, Alicia provides levels of change ranging from a few veg meals per week to a complete raw, macrobiotic diet. She truly seems accepting of any level of commitment and is confident that once you try it, you won't want to go back. This attitude is so much more constructive that militant veganism that I want to recommend to meat-eaters as an introduction to the lifestyle. As they say, "you catch more flies with honey (or agave nectar)"!

No comments:

Post a Comment