Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Herstory

At the risk of being redundant, I wanted to share one more women's history reference for young people. Every time I look through a book like this I am shocked by the number of important women who were not included in my high school curriculum. I realize that there have been more important historical figures of all races and genders than could possibly be discussed in four years of high school, but the fact that they skew male and white in more and more evident to me all the time.
This book profiles famous and not-so-famous women through out world history and pairs each with a portrait and a sample of her work. What a great way to introduce young women (and men) to the possibilities of their potential!
Take a look at your book shelves. How many books do you have about famous dead white guys? Don't you think you could make room for at least one about the ladies? Once you start to notice, its hard to return to complacency. Teach yourself a more complete world history; then teach others.

No comments:

Post a Comment