Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bathroom reading?

Lots of people have reading material in their bathrooms. When my husband was growing up, they had Reader's Digest. Pretty typical. I remember several books over the years (Raising Rabbits the Modern Way), but one impacted me more than the others.
Actually, its a series of books. The Foxfire books.
The Foxfire books are a compilation of stories, skills and interviews conducted by high school students during the 1960's in rural Appalachia. It began as a classroom project, but developed into a decades long anthropological case study.
The students in Eliot Wigginton's English class gained first hand knowledge of their own local culture through hands-on interviews and lessons with the elders of their community. They learned self-sufficiency skills such as butchering, building, farming, sewing and distilling, then wrote about their experiences. Those written articles became a series of nine (at least) books.
I loved reading and learning about these rural skills as a child. (Still do!) But, I learned more than practical skills from these books. For me the real power lies in the experiences of the young people. A whole generation of young Appalachians were taught traditional skills from their elders, a very uncommon occurrence these days.
Even less common, they (and their teacher) had the foresight to see the priceless nature of those teachings. I am inspired by the reverence for the mundane that that foresight requires and encouraged as I seek the meaningful lessons in my everyday life. Every person and every place, no matter how old, poor or downtrodden, holds a wealth of knowledge that will be lost forever if we lack the patience and vision to discover it.
http://www.foxfire.org/

1 comment:

  1. This is fascinating. I have always wished I had more practical skills. I was reading the Little House in the Big Woods a while ago and was struck by how much knowledge of basic things has been lost. But if for some reason our civilization decays and we slide in to anarchy, at least I know someone who can make his own soap.

    ReplyDelete