Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Radical Homemakers by Shannon Hayes

This book is the one that made me decide to blog. For years I have read all kinds of crazy books about homesteading, green living and radical parenting. I knew that there were other people out there reading these books and trying to create a Home for their families, and I had my parents as amazing role models, but reading Shannon Hayes' book put it all together for me.
I always felt conflicted between making a loving, green, self-supporting home and having a meaningful career. This book confirms my hope and belief that feminists can be radical homemakers with out loosing their identity as feminists. On the contrary, the home can be an expression of radical beliefs and a means of social change.
Building a home as a center of family life, with meaningful choices and shared experiences can be a powerful tool in the war against consumerism and global corperate control. The family is the ultimate grass-roots organization and a community of homes can truely change the world.
http://radicalhomemakers.com/

2 comments:

  1. Kate, I really liked this book too. It's definitely a good re-frame for me, and I keep talking to other people about it. We were raised right, that's for certain. I'll send your copy back to you.

    ReplyDelete