Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Living Simply With Children

My children do not have televisions in their bedrooms. For that matter, we only have one television in the whole house and its in the main living area, so if its on, we all have to listen. When I tell people this, they often look at me as if I am crazy. As if I am depriving my kids of the right to non-stop television viewing...
Its not easy to go against the grain. Sometimes I wonder if it is possible to really live our beliefs. Sometimes they seem too big to tackle. For me this book is a synthesis of all the seemingly disconnected values I am trying so hard to espouse. It reminds me that I work for social justice, fight corporate power, protect the environment, and try to build a strong community, for my children. I want them to grow up knowing what community looks like; including others and helping the less fortunate. I want them to do what they love, not love the things they have and I want them to have a clean, healthy world to live in.
By living simply we can model that lifestyle for our children. People learn best by doing, and by teaching others. I am still learning to live simply with my children, family and friends, but I know that as I learn I am also teaching others through my words and actions.

2 comments:

  1. Our family has always been the same way- one television in the main living area and that's it. And you saw how well two of us turned out. Your kids are blessed to have such dedicated parents. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks K! You did turn out well!

    ReplyDelete