Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Are you ready to garden?

My seeds are started in the window, and the ground is starting to thaw out and turn to mud. We have had a few days where the sun was warm and we wanted to be outside for more than 15 minutes. Its this time of year that I start to get anxious for my gardens. Unfortunately, around here its not really wise to plant before memorial day, so I have a while to go. As I wait, I read.
When I came across this book, the format appealed to me right away. It includes gardening tips and suggestions for the whole year so there is always something to do, with out being too specific about dates. Every thing is based off the date of last frost (or at least the average date) and can therefore be adjusted to match various climates. The book is meant to be used as a workbook or journal, and has places to record your own dates as well as sections for taking notes. The authors provide planting suggestions for a variety of vegetables as well as information on common pests, diseases and soil conditions. They also cover tools, food preservation, and putting the garden to bed for the winter, something that many gardening books neglect. This book is not meant for a master gardener or a large scale grower, but rather for the backyard hobbyist looking for simple techniques and organization. It seems like one that could be turned to year after year as a resource and a record of progress.
http://www.storey.com/book_detail.php?isbn=9781603426947

No comments:

Post a Comment