Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

House


Although this book is non-fiction, it reads like a novel. The author follows the construction of a house from design to completion from the perspective of the architect, builder and homeowner. Its not so much a how-to manual as it is an homage to the process. Each of the people involved pours something of him or her self into the building, and through the ups and downs the house takes on a life of its own. As in any group project, no one ends up completely satisfied, but each party feels connected to one another and the building. Tracy Kidder describes the emotional commitment involved in building a home and the satisfaction felt in making it your own. I first read this book as we were building our home, and looking ahead it encouraged me not to abandon the process, but instead to incorporated the process into the character of the house itself. Being a part of the construction ties me to the house. Our history is one and the same, the walls can not speak of anyone else. 
http://www.tracykidder.com/index.php

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any book by Tracy Kidder that I DIDN'T like... and this one is maybe my favorite.

    ReplyDelete