Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

No Impact


I recycle. I wash my sandwich bags and use them again. I hang my clothes on the line in nice weather and I cloth diaper. I compost, buy local and eat vegetarian. My family of five generates about one big bag of garbage per week, and I think we are pretty green, but we are certainly not no impact. Colin Beavan along with his wife and young daughter spent a year striving to have zero impact on the environment. No garbage. No carbon emissions. No waste. They turned off the electric and bought bikes. They stopped buy packaged food and only bought local. They even, toward the end, stopped using toilet paper. Now, that's a little far, in the grand scheme of things, but it could be done. Especially if you are already washing diapers! Now I doubt that you are interested in a completely impact-free lifestyle, but if you are interested in making some changes and challenging your consumption then I highly recommend this book along with its companion film and website. The Beavan family illustrates how much difference one family can make and what a great impact on your life no-impact living can have. 
http://noimpactproject.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment