Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Unschooling

I am a public school teacher. I believe in public schools and support them completely. There is a part of me, however, that is always looking at options. Just because our schools are vitally important doesn't mean that there aren't other choices for learning that could work. I toyed with the idea of homeschooling my own children and that's when I learned about unschooling.
Unschooling is the ultimate in child centered education. Children are given free choice in their activities and parents must trust that they will learn from those activities. We are naturally curious creatures. In an unschooling model that curiosity is encouraged and expanded upon as children wish to discover more about a topic. I think the hardest part is for the adults to let go and allow the children to just explore. At first it may seem that they are learning nothing, but the desire for information will come. Ownership of the learning process ensures retention and a plethora of connections.
The commitment by parents and children to unschooling must be strong. Without it education could look a lot like vacation. But really, have you ever forgotten the things you saw on vacation? It really is all learning. For my family, public school is the way to go, but I try to look at our entire lives through unschooling eyes. Planning our weekends and our family events I encourage my children's interests while finding ways to expand what they know and show them how everything is connected. Teaching my kids to ask questions and seek answers, to absorb information and to look at the world in new and different ways will help them to become life-long learners both in school and out.
http://www.marygriffith.net/Site/UH_page.html

No comments:

Post a Comment