Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

100 Things


How many things do you have? How many of them do you need? I know that I have WAY more stuff than I need, use or even really want. The challenge in this book is not so much about the number, but the need. As the author purges his things he lets go of the things he doesn't want, need, or use and subsequently discovers what he really values. 
Consider this, the fewer things you have the more you can enjoy each of them. Also, if you are only going to have one, it had better be really great. Take clothes, for example. If I got rid of all the clothes in my closet that don't fit, are worn out, or I don't like and replaced them with four or five high quality, comfortable, well-fitting items, I would feel more attractive, look better and have less stuff. ( I think I'll start today!) 
This lesson can apply to other areas. The author vows to have only one pencil. He buys one he really likes and uses it until it is gone. Just think of the drawers that could be emptied if we used this policy for all our little things!
Granted, he lives with his wife and children and so the communal items are not included in his purge. A whole family needs more than one hundred things. If I just purged the things that belong to me alone, the pile would be huge! I am embarrassed by the number of shoes, jeans and keepsakes that I never use but keep just in case. Hardest for me would be the mementos and books, things I enjoy emotionally and decoratively. I also hate to throw away perfectly good stuff, so finding a good charity to donate to is a must. Even with these obstacles, the exercise seems freeing. I think I'll give it a try! 

2 comments:

  1. I would like to get RID of 100 things. I think it would be a good start.

    ReplyDelete