Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

When were you last in the woods?


I am lucky enough to live in the woods. Trees block the view of the road and it is common to see deer, turkey , squirrels and birds wandering through the yard. I have even seen a bear! Even though I have all this where I can see and experience it every day, I still feel the effects of nature-deficit-disorder. So often my only moments in nature are the trips from home to car, car to work and back again. 
As a parent, I see the benefits that outdoor time has on my kids. They are happier, kinder and more creative when they can play outdoors. For some reason, sticks, rocks and mud are always more fun than the most expensive video game system. 
Unfortunately, those indoor toys suck us in. The noise, the lights, the bright colors lure us away from nature. We become so used to the hyper-stimulation that the beauty of a sunset or the music of birds singing seems somehow less and we pass them by. I am depressed by the realization that a book such as this is truly needed. We need to be taught to reconnect to nature. Our children need to learn new skills to interact with their natural habitat. Playing a video game, or even a board game is nothing like climbing a tree. We need to exercise our physical and mental outdoor skills before they atrophy. I can only hope that recognizing that we have a problem will be the first step in finding a solution. 

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I know I personally feel more alive and happy when I get outside. It makes me help put life in perspective.
    One thing I have tried to do to help make outside play more creative and unrestrained is have "play overalls" that I put on my crawling one-year old (inspired by the curtain play clothes in Sound of Music). I also put some of my long socks on his arms but this is mostly because we have prickly crab grass in our yard that will hurt his bare hands when he crawls. The overalls are great because he can crawl and explore all around our muddy yard and dig in the dirt with me while I garden. When get ready to come in, I just take the overalls off and it makes the clean up easier.
    My biggest challenge will be not passing on my dislike of bugs to my kids.
    One thing that I think is essential to outdoor play is a lack of structure and a degree (as much as is safely possible and age appropriate) of solitude and meditation in nature.
    On another note, I don't think I have ever climbed a tree. They were too spindly where I grew up. But we did have some really fun forts in the woods behind our house. I was lucky to grow up with a wood that we could play in. However, where I live now is more urban. We have parks and trails somewhat close, but park-play requires more planning and tends to result in more structured play(slides/etc.
    Finally- books are a great way to help share the adventure of outdoors with children. My Side of the Mountain was one of my favorite books as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie, for your thoughtful comments! I like your idea for the play overalls. My kids often end up naked, for much the same reason!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Katie...it's always snowy around here...I always want to be outside but can't stand the cold so I end up on the computer. It's not that I wouldn't prefer a walk in the woods or a tree climb, it's that I like to have feeling in my fingers and toes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soon Larkin, very soon! Plus, wool socks and good boots work wonders! I also dislike the cold, but I do love a little fresh air.

    ReplyDelete