Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Happy Wanderer


I was a journal writer for many years. My sister and I would sit in bed and write ourselves to sleep. In those days I had big plans. I was going to travel the world, see the seven wonders and settle in a loft apartment of a large metropolitan area, leaving whenever the mood struck. 
I still have big plans (don't get me started!), but these days they tend to focus a lot closer to home. I may not visit exotic locales, but I see rare sights in the daily life here in my home town. My wanderlust has not been satiated, instead I have learned that a walk across the backyard can be a voyage to places as strange and wonderful as a trip across the world. 
This book chronicles such a journey. Vivian Swift paints a portrait of contentment as she illustrates each month of a year at home in a small community. She describes the small pleasures that an inward focus can bring and the beauty of simple things. When I start to feel the urge to stretch my wings, I am reminded that, like this author, even here at home there is plenty of room to fly. 

http://vivianswift.net/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment